Have you found your perfect holiday outfit yet? The holidays are upon us again, and what better time to dress up and make the most of the festivities! If you have a Christmas party planned or are attending a New Year’s celebration, you probably can’t wait to get all glammed up. If you’ve got the dress already planned out, then how about thinking of pairing a festive hairstyle to complete your look? The holidays call for a festive appearance, even if it’s Christmas lunch at the parents! You want to look glamorous, but we know how time-limited we are during this busy season! So, we have put together 5 quick and easy hairstyles for the festive season that will amp up your outfit and make for a marvellous appearance at any party or get-together.
1. The Messy Side Braid
Lea Michele looks effortlessly glam with this messy side braid that paired perfectly with her pink chiffon dress. A super-chic festive hairstyle, you can easily achieve this look in no time at all!
- Prep hair with a texturising spray like Toni & Guy Sea Salt Texturising Spray ($15.00) to give the hair body and to achieve that done-up undone look.
- Gather hair behind one ear and begin to braid with a basic braid/plait.
- Secure braid with an elastic, and then begin to gently pull on each braid to widen it and give that ‘thrown-together’ appearance.
- To give it a polished finish, wrap a piece of hair around the elastic and secure with a body pin. Apply a shine-enhancing hairspray like ghd Final Shine Spray ($20.00) to add shine and fight frizz.
2. Half Up-Half Down
Jessica Chastain looks so sweet with her half-up half-down hairstyle. This would make a great festive hairstyle because it is simple yet looks very put-together. If you have mid to long hair this would work wonders! Pair this hairstyle with a strapless dress for a gorgeous look.
- Apply some volumizing powder like KEVIN.MURPHY Powder.Puff ($38.95) to the roots of dry hair. This will give the hair more lift and body, and make it easy to style curls in.
- To add a romantic edge to this style, curl sections of hair with a curling wand. It doesn’t have to be perfect; just choose strands at random, going around the head in a halo effect.
- Spritz a light mist of hairspray just to hold the curls in place. Next, section off hair from above each ear and pull back. As you are pulling the hair back, twist it before securing with bobby pins at the back of the head.
- Let sections of hair around the face fall as they may, as this softens the look. Finish with hairspray to set.
3. High Ponytail
The high ponytail is the most simple yet chic hairstyle! Take a leaf from model Alessandra Ambrosio, and straighten hair before gathering into a sleek, high pony. Perfect for a dress with a gorgeous neckline and paired with statement earrings.
- The best way to make this as quick and easy as possible is to set your straightener and let it heat while you do your makeup. Once your straightening iron is hot, straighten the hair from root to tip.
- Brush hair back and up into a high ponytail. Gather and secure at the top of the head.
- Taking your straightener, go over the pony and slightly flick the hair at the ends for a bouncy flirty look.
- Wrap a section of hair around the elastic to finish this chic and simple festive hairstyle!
4. Side Chignon
Actress Nina Dobrev’s side-swept chignon may look tedious and as if it would take hours to achieve, but thankfully this gorgeous look is deceivingly easy to replicate!
- Start with clean, dry hair and part your hair down the middle.
- Section the hair into two pieces then pull them to the side of which you want your chignon.
- Take the two sections and tie them around each other to make a knot.
- Once you have knotted the hair, take the ends of each section of hair and wrap them in opposite directions around the knot. Once the hair is wrapped, secure with as many bobby pins as needed.
- Spritz with hairspray to hold! Voila! Your festive hairstyle is done. This would look gorgeous with a strapless dress or delicate shoestring dress. For added glam, why not add a stylish headband?
5. Half Top Knot
Kendall Jenner always looks glamorous! And this top knot hairstyle is super chic and easy to do. A play on the basic top knot, this style incorporates a half-up half-down for extra sass, and looks perfect on short, medium or long hair!
- Start on dry hair. This look works with unwashed hair too – bonus!
- Part your hair using your fingers to create a half-crescent shape around your temple. Just as you would if you were doing a half-up half-down hairstyle.
- Pull the top section of hair up into a ponytail and secure with an elastic.
- Tease the ponytail to create more volume, and then twist it around the elastic to form a bun. Use bobby pins to secure.
- To create that extra tousled appearance, gently tug at the bun to create a looser top-knot.
- Spray with hairspray to finish.
Complete your festive season party outfit with a designer dress, available to hire for a fraction of the retail price from GlamCorner. Shop our new arrivals now!