The end of the year is creeping up on us and for some, this can mean the end of a long, tiresome yet rewarding University degree. Perhaps, all of those countless hours and sleepless nights are finally coming to an end which can only mean one thing. Graduation. Congratulations, you did it! Now is the time to celebrate this exciting milestone and not only work out what gown you will be decked out in beneath those glorious robes, but also how you are going to style your hair for this triumphant occasion. This can seem a bit tricky due to the fact that there is a rather large, hard-to-miss, square cap to factor into the equation and the potential hat- hair dilemma, but need not worry, we have put together a list of 7 cap-friendly ways to style your hair this Graduation Day, that will help you feel confident and hat-hair free for that special kodak moment when you walk onto the stage, tip your cap and smile.
7 Cap-Friendly Ways to Style Your Hair this Graduation Day
Image Source: SweetyHigh
Whether you are after a clean or messy up-do, curly or straight, braid or bun, we have taken inspo from the runway and put together a list of the trendiest hairstyles for both long and short hair, that are simple enough to create from the comfort of your own home.
- The Loose Waves
- Image Source: Pinterest; The Teacher Diva
- If you aren’t one for fancy do’s and after a low-maintenance look for your locks, then go for flowy loose waves. It is one of the easiest, stress-free hairstyles to pull off for any length of hair and can be as simple as leaving your hair in braids whilst you get your beauty sleep so by the time you wake up, a slight coating of hairspray and quick ruffle with your hands is all that is needed to complete the process! Another option is to run the curling iron through your hair a few hours before, allowing enough time for your curls to drop, giving you a perfect yet effortless wave that will avoid any possibility of cap interference!
- The Half Up Half Down
- Image Source: Good Housekeeping; Pinterest
- The half up half down is a hairstyle that never ceases to go off-trend and always seems to have a funky new addition on display each time we see it on the red carpet. It is a highly versatile hairstyle that is suitable for almost all hair lengths and a great one for graduation day. Feature it with a thick wrapping braid that will sit low enough to make for a beautiful statement underneath your cap. If you want to keep it simpler, go for loosely tied bun and keep your hair either straight or with a slight wave.
- The Low Pony
- Image Source: Pinterest
- If you are going for a sleek and sophisticated look, the classic low pony is a great option for you. Feature a clean middle part, straight-ironed pony and slick back all of your fly aways and you will look as though you’re ready to take on the business world. Another clever fashion hair hack that we have seen on the red carpet over the years, is to wrap your hair around your hair tie as a stylish disguise. If you are wanting to shake things up abit and not feel so clean-cut, then you can re-vamp the infamous 80’s crimp look and sport a big, wild pony.
- The Side Braid
- Image Source: Pinterest;PopHaircuts
- A fresh, modernised take on a victorian-era inspired do, is the messy side braid. This is another hairstyle for those of you who are after something effortless that still oozes chic. This has become a staple go-to on the red carpet for stars over the years, so why not bring it to the graduation runway. A perfect excuse to keep your hair a lil’ messy with a side-swept fringe and a pulled braid. If you want to mix it up, keep it playful and unique with a herringbone braid and add a cute ribbon as an additional accessory.
- The Coloured Ombre
- Image Source: Zimbio
- If you don’t want to rock a classic hairstyle, then dive into the depths of bold colours. A coloured ombre is a more subtle way to unleash your inner edginess and is a great statement for shorter hair. The colour will speak for itself so you can keep your hair nice and natural. A slight spritz of salt spray is all you need to give it some volume and achieve the messy beach hair look . If you are ready to take it to the next level, completely dye your hair the wildest colour you can get your mitts on and this will surely make your day even more memorable. What a great snapshot you’ll have to show the grandkids and how you rocked your graduation in style!
- The Bangs
- Image Source: Pinterest;Zimbio
- BANGS. Enough said. A timeless staple that has lasted through the ages and always comes out as the last man standing. In other words, you simply cannot go wrong. If you get tired of the plain bob, bangs are the perfect remedy to add some spice to those of us with shorter haircuts and the bonus is that they can be adapted to all face types. Whether you suit long, side swept bangs or a wispy front fringe, they are as low maintenance as you desire them to be. Simply run the hairdryer and comb through to create some definite volume. If you want to keep them natural and slightly flattened, simply let them air-dry after a hair wash. Allow your hair to fall naturally around your face and wa-lah! You will be walking away with not only a degree, but the award for the most effortlessly stylish graduation hairstyle.
- The Pixie Cut
- Image Source: Elle; Pinterest
- Short hair. Don’t care. The elegant pixie cut may not seem like much but you are already winning by the fact that your haircut is a statement in itself and you really don’t need to do much at all. A slicked back side fringe and a tonne of spray will be the highest maintenance needed for this sophisticated and effortless do. If you want to keep it more natural, keep your layers wispy and have your fringe naturally falling over your forehead. Either way, you have zero chance of falling victim to hat hair! It’s a win win.
We hope that you feel a little more at ease so when the time comes to style your hair with a graduation cap, it will feel a lot less like a challenge and more like a victory.