As we head into the summer months our event calendar seems to become fuller and never ending, The beginning of summer is all about the festive season and the thought of letting loose for the Christmas break and sipping on cocktails by the beach becomes more and more enticing. What better way to celebrate the end of the working year than with the perfect style for your upcoming team Christmas party!
WHAT TO WEAR TO A WORK XMAS PARTY
Image source: thevivaluxury.com
When it comes to your end of year Christmas party you want nothing more than to put your best fashion foot forward. It goes without saying that December is all about bold colours, metallic highlights and festive prints. Have fun this upcoming season with all of the above and you’ll be sure to impress all your office colleges.
It’s time to put away those corporate white shirts and give your fitted pencil skirts a rest! From harbourside yacht parties to formal corporate gala balls you’ll find the perfect look to match your event this Christmas party season. Read through our 8 trends to match to your Christmas party style whatever it maybe.
The first thing you need to do when planning your Christmas outfit is to identify the style of your industry. This means identify the type of industry your work in whether it be corporate, service or retail based.
Secondly we need to identity whether the event is a formal evening function, daytime gathering or an all-day mixed event. Both these elements are important in helping you decide the overall formality of the event. For example, is your event a large corporate gala dinner or small business afternoon picnic party?
IDENTIFY YOUR INDUSTRY Who do you work for?
- CORPORATE INDUSTRY
- This could include anything from government to private roles and usually consists of an industry with a large number of employees or departments. For example, large finance businesses, construction, education, law firms, medical practices etc.
- SERVICE INDUSTRY
- This industry is usually of a smaller business nature with a selected number of employees such as the beauty industry, hospitality, trade, community based practices, etc.
- RETAIL INDUSTRY
- This industry is usually a mix between a boutique niche business or multinational mega chain which can range between a large or small number of employees. Retail industry examples include fashion, food, smallgoods, furnishings, electronics, etc..
IDENTIFY TYPE OF EVENT What is the theme?
Image source: thevivaluxury.com
- FORMAL DINNER ‘Black tie attire’
- This can range from a cocktail poolside event to formal dinner party or even a corporate gala ball event.
- DAYTIME FUN ‘Smart casual attire’
- This can range from a high tea luncheon event to a daytime garden party.
- ALL DAY EXTRAVAGANZA ‘Comfortable attire’
- This can range from an afternoon outdoor picnic event to a harborside yacht party or a relaxed summer beach BBQ.
WHICH PARTY THEME ARE YOU?
- AFTERNOON PICNIC PARTY THEME: The ‘Linen Shirt’
- Image source L-R: shopstyle.com; pinterest.com; thezoereport.com
- This super cool look is not only amazingly easy to style but also incredibly easy to wear. The perfect combination of comfort and style with the classic linen shirt. Try it at your upcoming laidback Christmas afternoon picnic party and you’ll not only look great but will also feel super comfortable.
- Image source L-R: pinterest.com; oliviapalermo.com; pinterest.com
- RELAXED YACHT PARTY THEME: The ‘Gingham Print’
- Image source L-R: tumblr.com; luxuryinsider.com; tumblr.com
- This season’s super trend the gingham print is the go to look for your end of year Christmas yacht party. Feel perfectly nautical in a gorgeous black and white checkered print for that ultimate fashionista at sea style. Keep the length of your dress longer to avoid any wind blowing skirt accidents on board.
- Image source L-R: pinterest.com; bloglovin.com; bloglovin.com
- SUMMER BEACH BBQ THEME: The ‘Flowing Kaftan’
- Image source L-R: pinterest.com; meldenisse.com; luisabrimble.com
- When it comes to relaxed work Christmas events, it goes without saying that the popular summer beachside BBQ has to be an overall Aussie crowd pleaser. What better way to celebrate in this relaxed scene than with an equally relaxed wide fit kaftan dress. A great option for those hot sunny afternoons by the beach.
- Image source L-R: tumblr.com; bloglovin.com; tumblr.com
- Get into the festive season with a fun fringed tassel dress and you’ll be jingling beautifully into the new year. This beautifully textured midi dress is a perfect combination of soft girly glamour and bold fashion forward edge. Select a neutral tone colour for that effortless summer poolside cool vibe!
- Image source L-R: tumblr.com; vogue.com; pinterest.com
- FORMAL DINNER PARTY THEME: The ‘Ravishing Red’
- Image source L-R: dailymail.co.uk; pinterest.com; oncewed.com
- Say ‘hello’ and stand out this Christmas season with a bold fire red midi dress. You’ll feel super womanly and strikingly powerful in this ravishing colour as nothing screams confidence more than a woman in red.
- Image source L-R: wheretoget.it; whiterunway.com; carriebradshawlied.com
- HIGH TEA LUNCHEON THEME: The ‘Sheer Lace’
- Image source L-R: vogue.com; pinterest.com; southernliving.com
- This sheer lace look is a must if you want to encapsulate the perfect ladylike look at your work Christmas high tea luncheon. Jump straight into the royal spirit with a beautiful light layered sheer number and you’ll be on your way to feeling as posed and polished as Kate at your upcoming high tea Christmas function.
- Image source L-R: blogspot.com; thelane.com; pinterest.com
- DAYTIME GARDEN PARTY THEME: The ‘Romantic Ruffle’
- Image source L-R: lovelypepacollection.com; 100layercake.com; stylemepretty.com
- Blossom like a beautiful rose in this gorgeously girly ruffle fashion trend of the moment. This is a great selection for your upcoming outdoor garden party. Feel ohhh so pretty with a stunningly comfortable ruffled skirt or flounced sleeve feature. You’ll be a delight that will excite the crowd in soft pinks and flirty frills. So what are you waiting for, start planning your look today!
- Image source L-R: pinterest.com; herestheskinny.com; instagram.com
- CORPORATE DINNER GALA THEME: The ‘Gold Embellishment’
- Image source L-R: pinterest.com; vogue.com; pinterest.com
- Christmas party time is almost here, do you have a corporate gala ball coming up? Well then, you can’t go past some Parisian runway styling for that glamorously chic over the top red carpet elegance! Emulate the perfect haute couture look with a classic floor length black gown embellished with elaborate gold jewels, beading and embroidery features.
- Image source L-R: tumblr.com; livingly.com; pinterest.com
- THE DO’S
- Do experiment with bold colour, perfect for the summer season.
- Do add metallic embellishments to your look for an extra festive touch.
- Do select an outfit with a comfortable fit for flawless all day wear.
- Do dress appropriately for the type of event (e.g. ball gown for gala ball).
- Do have fun and be jolly, enjoy yourself you’re earned it!
- THE DON’TS
- Don’t wear super short mini skirts to avoid any indecent exposure accidents.
- Don’t overdo it on your makeup, you still want to be recognisable.
- Don’t select a pair of uncomfortable shoes that you can’t walk in.
- Don’t wear a dress with an extremely long hemline, to avoid an embarrassing trip.
- Don’t try something you wouldn’t usually wear, to avoid a fashion disaster.
- Have fun this Christmas party season and let your fashion freak fly high like Rudolph with one of our spectacular looks, guaranteed to make you feel and look amazing! Be the envy of all your co-workers for all the right reasons with a gorgeous floor length gown or form fitted midi dress. For more style tips read our “Ultimate Style Guide for Christmas Work Party Dresses” blog post.
- Did you know? Till the late 1850’s Christmas “was not celebrated as a legal holiday in New England, USA” The 25th of December was not traditionally known as being a “day off” and all businesses were expected to open and children attend school!
SHOP OUR WORK FUNCTION COLLECTION