I believe there are two types of women in the world, those who embrace shedding their winter layers for light Summer attire and those, who despise it. I for one, am the latter. Each year, as Autumn approaches, I revel in wrapping myself up in multiple layers, embracing blanket-style scarves and wearing high necklines, long sleeves and statement boots. But as the temperature rises and the humidity hits an all time high, whether I like it or not, it’s time for a wardrobe refresh.
Summer Trends to Show Off your Curves
The truth is, dressing for Summer isn’t always easy. You imagine yourself looking natural and glowing with your golden tan and mermaid beach waves, but the reality isn’t always that dreamy. I am originally from a climate much colder than Australia and despite having spent five years in the warmer weather, I maintain that my body wasn’t made for Summer.
In reality, most of us feel a bit awkward maintaining our personal style throughout Summer and hate the thought of showing too much skin, especially if you’re not the stereotypical beach babe. If you’re like me, the idea of Summer clothes can sometimes feel uncomfortable but as I am learning, they don’t have to be. Join me on my Summer wardrobe exploration as I discover everything from, breezy off shoulder necklines to long, free-flowing maxi skirts. We’ve compiled our top five looks to show off your curves this Summer, so you can stay cool, even when it’s like 40 degrees outside.
- The Long Sleeve Playsuit
- Whether you’re off to the beach or enjoying a picnic in the park, you have to love the ease of slipping into a romper for a no-hassle approach to dressing. If you’re anything like me, you hate showing your arms (I always have) but don’t mind a bit of leg, this look is perfect for you! For a fun, flirty all-in-one look that puts comfort first, be inspired by feminine, floral prints and cinched waistlines with adjustable straps for an overall relaxed fit. The long sleeve romper is the perfect look to take from day to night, wear it with sneakers, sandals or heels and it also gets bonus points for being bra friendly!
- The Not So Basic Sun Dress
- Warning, these might not be your typical sun dresses but you might just fall in love with them! For a slightly more formal daytime affair, be inspired by sheer lace detail that beautifully elongate the legs or this season’s favourite shade of yellow! Don’t get me wrong, black is my go-to colour, but for Summer, I need to try to expand my colour pallette and hiring a dress makes this totally risk free. For an all day event this Summer, the most important thing is to be comfortable so find a dress that conceals your bra straps! We think one of the above will do the trick!
- The Floral Maxi Dress
- Maxi dresses are synonymous with Summer and if you’re tall enough to pull this look of when wearing flats, I envy you! Don’t shy away from prints and feel confident in a Summer classic. Be inspired by bold florals, flirty cold shoulder cut-outs and thigh high splits, for a romantic summer-time look. RSVP to your next special event in style with our collection of easy-breezy lightweight maxi dresses, perfect to rent for a Summer wedding or for a tropical weekend getaway. This look gets bonus points for hiding unwaxed legs!
- The Must-Have Mini Dress
- Stay cool this Summer in one of our must-have mini dresses! To show off your shape and highlight your best features, consider a wrap dress with a ruffle neckline to draw attention to the decolletage or a mini dress that is cinched at the waist is perfect for creating the illusion of a super feminine silhouette. The off-shoulder trend also isn’t going anywhere and it’s a fun, flirty way to show just the right amount of skin! Keep it casual in sneakers for aperitivo hour or slip into a pair of strappy heels and hit the town with your friends!
- The Stretch Bodycon Dress
- Party season is well and truly here, so strut your stuff in one of our fabulous, figure hugging cocktail dresses! Crafted from soft, stretch fabrications, our range of bodycon midi dresses will accentuate your curves in all the right places, just remember to find the right balance between fitted and too tight. When it comes to figure hugging silhouettes, I swear by shapewear! Invest in a good pair of well-fitting undergarments, that don’t leave any lines so you can enjoy champagne, canapes and still dance the night away in comfort and style!
Image Source: Vogue.com
Body shape is all about proportion and every single one of us is unique! So this season, celebrate Summer and embrace your curves with our curvy shopping secrets!
- Do highlight your best features
- Do find a balance between fitted and too tight
- Do invest in good shapewear
- Do wear pencil skirts
- Do wear prints
- Do embrace colour
As trends come and go, the one theme that remains dominant on the runway each season, is diversity. Studies show that more women than ever before, feel that their size, colour and gender are under represented in the mainstream media and on the runway. This season, at New York Fashion Week we saw a record number of size-diverse models walking the catwalk, with designers such as Michael Kors, Marc Jacobs and Eckhaus Latta all reflecting the positive shift in their model casting.
Image Source: Instagram
Most recently, the American model Ashley Graham, known for her bombshell curves, posed for Vogue Italia in a pin-up style photoshoot. The magazine also accepted her zero tolerance policy when it comes to photoshop and left the images completely untouched. The glamorous photoshoot, featuring Graham in Dolce and Gabbana lingerie oozes sex appeal and as a pioneer of the body-positive movement, Graham praised the fashion bible for celebrating her curves, au naturale; posting a few of the images to her Instagram account using the hashtags #VogueLovesCurves and #BeautyBeyondSize. You can see the full shoot in the magazines December 2017 Celebration issue.
At GlamCorner, we strive for inclusivity and are devoted to showcasing a collection of womenswear that represents every woman. All women should have the opportunity to be a part of fashion and we know that diversity isn’t just a trend, it’s here to stay!
Shop our latest arrivals featuring fun, flirty mini dresses by Anna Scholz, stunning floor length gowns by Adrianna Papell and dazzling sequin by Theia. Whatever the occasion this season, we have got your Spring/Summer wardrobe sorted.