Your Year 12 Valedictory Dinner is an opportunity to come together with friends to celebrate your high school successes and everything you have achieved so far. After all, 13-years of schooling is no small feat! It’s a time to say farewell to friends and teachers as you embark on new adventures and enter the next chapter of your life. You’ve been waiting for this moment, for like, ever, so celebrate this incredible milestone in style!
Year 12 Valedictory Dinner Style Guide
Image Source: People.com
Whether your school Valedictory Dinner is a casual affair or an all-out Black Tie function, it’s a special milestone in your life, so you want to look your very best! Be inspired by our top five looks to rent for your Valedictory Dinner and say farewell in style! From dazzling, floor length formal gowns, to sophisticated cocktail dresses, our Valedictory style guide has got something for every style, body type and budget. So sit back, relax and take the hassle out of dress shopping, we’ve got you covered with all the latest designer trends, at a fraction of the retail price!
- For the Mini Dress Lover
- If you’re event (or personal style) is on the casual side, a mini dress is the perfect choice to hire. Be inspired by our collection featuring intricate lace details by Self Portrait, romantic ruffle hemlines by Nicholas the Label and stunning statement sleeves by Yeojin Bae. If you’re considering baring your legs, sans tights, it’s a good idea to balance this out with long sleeves or midi height heels. Remember what they say, the higher the hem, the lower the heel! Accessorise your mini dress with a mini bag and don’t forget your shoes are on display, so why not make a statement with them also? If your body type is petite, a mini dress is perfect for you, choose a dress with a cinched waist line and slip into a pair of killer heels and you’re ready to dance the night away in style!
- Is it Cocktail Hour?
- OK so you’re still under eighteen so alcohol won’t be served at your Valedictory Dinner but that doesn’t mean you can’t dress for cocktail hour. Our collection of midi length cocktail dresses won’t leave you looking like a 1950’s housewife. Choose from flirty, off shoulder necklines by Talulah La Maison, fabulous fit and flare silhouettes by Self Portrait and this season’s favourite fabrication, sultry satin by C/MEO Collective. If your body type is pear shape, choose something strapless and highlight your shoulders, if you are of athletic or slender build, asymmetric lines and will create the illusion of feminine curves. To elongate your legs, choose a pair of strappy heels and a petite purse for the perfect finishing touch, no oversized bags here!
- Maxi Length, Maximum Impact
- If your Valedictory Dinner invite stipulates formal attire or black-tie, then you’re in for a night of glitz and glamour! Be inspired by our stunning collection of floor length maxi dresses featuring voluminous ruffles by C/MEO Collective (the real life salsa emoji dress), simple, off-shoulder elegance by George and beautifully delicate lace by Grace and Hart – you’ll be red carpet ready in no time! If you have a full bust, consider wearing a higher neckline and a dress with sleeves or thick straps (bra friendly) If your body type is curvy, choose a fabrics that skims the body, as opposed to clings. Remember, comfort is key. You still want to be able to mingle through the crowds and hit the dancefloor after midnight!
- The Ankle Grazer
- When your Valedictory Dinner is a semi-formal occasion, an ankle-grazing dress is the perfect style to rent. Stand out from the crown in intricate floral panels by Self Portrait, asymmetric lines by Talulah La Maison and sophisticated sheer detail (Beyonce wore this dress) by Alice McCall. If there’s a lot going on in your dress, that’s ok, just keep your hair, makeup and accessories minimal. If you’re opted for a simple silhouette and a plain, block colour, you can afford to over-accessorize! Adorn yourself in decadent jewellery and be inspired by colourful shoes and accessories, to really make a statement. Slip into a pair of lace up heels and you’re ready to make a grand entrance!
- Who said you have to Wear a Dress?
If you’re the type of girl that dreads wearing a dress, don’t worry, a jumpsuit is your best friend! From the red carpet, to your wardrobe, Hollywood’s leading ladies have given the jumpsuit their seal of approval. It’s even making an appearance on the cocktail party scene! Our curated collection of ready-to-wear jumpsuits offers something for everyone, from casual relaxed fit styles by C/MEO Collective, this season’s favourite shade of red by Jay Godfrey as well as cute cut-outs (and even better, pockets!) by Pasduchas. If you are tall and have been blessed with the gift of long legs, a wide leg jumpsuit is perfect for your frame, just be careful to double check the length to avoid the pant becoming a culotte. Those with apple body shapes can create the perfect hourglass shape wearing a jumpsuit with a blouson top of waistband.
Image Source: Vogue.com
The pursuit of the perfect Valedictory outfit can be a daunting one, after all, this is the biggest social event in your calendar. The key is to find a dress or jumpsuit that you feel comfortable in and with comfort, comes confidence. Know what style suits you and what works for your body type.
So what are you waiting for? School is out! It’s time to let your hair down and enjoy yourself, after all, you deserve it. Grab your camera, take lots of photos and make memories you’ll never forget!
For even more beauty and styling inspiration, check out our blog post: ‘Ultimate School Formal Style Guide’ for a step by step guide on how to prepare for the biggest night of your life!
SHOP OUR FORMAL COLLECTION