With Spring Carnival on the horizon, so is the infamous Victoria Derby Day. A prestigious day in Australian racing season that has taken the classic ‘Black and White’ theme to a whole new level. It is the time when fashions on the field competitions are at their peak. A time to draw inspo from the runway, tap into your creativity and explore beyond what may seem like a simple and limited dress code. We have put together a quick guide on How to Wear Black and White this Derby Day 2017 that will surely get you standing out amongst the sea of monochrome!
How to Wear Black and White this Derby Day 2017
Image Source: Karen Woo
This year’s Derby Day falls on Saturday the 4th of November and like previous years, it will bring the hottest trends along with the hottest contenders in Australia together for this momentous event. We will be seeing an array of trends brought directly from the runway to the field, such as bell sleeves, ruffles, tassels, peplum, lace and flared skirts to name a few.
When it comes to the classic black and white theme, there are only so many ways to interpret this color scheme before we find ourselves straying slightly off path and into bright colour territory. This is when the finer details such as fabrics, hemlines and most importantly, millinery come in. Bold and eccentric fascinators are the ultimate showstoppers at this event and will be the winning streak that will get you dazzling amongst the crowd and first across the fashion finish line.
To help you out, we have put together a list of the main colour combinations and how you can use the current trends to style yourself like our leading contenders this Derby Day:
- Black on Black
- The LBD
- Image Source:The New Daily
- When all fails, all hail the little black dress. A fashion go-to for the races that will always make your vision come true. It is the perfect chance to flaunt those legs for the day and achieve a playful yet chic vibe. If you are afraid of looking too cliche, experiment with different fabrics such as delicate embroidery, higher neckline, mesh details and tassels like our Madame X Nora Dress.The right choice of fascinator and clutch to balance out the fabrics, will turn this fashion staple into your own unique creation.
- Cold, calm and collected
- Image Source: TheRaces
- Delicately bold is what the cold shoulder dress has to offer. A higher neckline, tapered waist and dainty side split are all you need to achieve this look as seen in our Rebecca Vallance Gigi Ruffle Midi Dress. With just the right amount of shoulder showing, you will be nothing shy of cold, calm and collected! To top it off, a bejeweled halo crown and clutch is the magic touch that will transform you into a goddess ready to take back her throne.
- Fabulously Fitted
- Image Source: Herald Sun
- Flaunt your figure in the classic fitted midi. Not just any fitted midi, one with just the right amount of embellishments and fabric details that will set you apart from the rest. Go for lace details, abstract cutouts and sheer overlays as seen in our Foundation Midi Dress and pair it back with a large structured fascinator and simple clutch and you will be looking fabulously fit and ready to back a winner!
- White on White
- Luscious Lace
- Image Source: Pinterest
- Nothing says elegance like a classic white lace number. The beauty of lace, is that it’s a statement piece all on it’s own. If you are wanting to achieve a timeless feel but still explore the current trends, then you can go for finer details like plunging necklines, bell sleeves and asymmetrical hemlines like our Talulah Cassatt Midi Dress. Complement the lace with a large structured hat fascinator and a soft white or nude clutch and you will be parting the crowd like a royal in no time!
- Statement Sleeves
- Image Source: The New Daily
- If you are wanting to bring a slight edginess to your outfit, statement sleeves are the way to go. It is the perfect trend to unleash your creativity and get adventurous. The sleeves are the statement piece of the outfit which means you can keep your millinery simpler if you like. You can explore with collars, pleats, high-neck and lattice lace like our Miss Moonlight Long Dress. Stick to an Ivory clutch and a cutout headpiece to achieve an effortlessly structured creation.
- Ruffle Ready
- Image Source: Herald Sun
- Feel like the ultimate lady in none other than a ruffled midi. Bring forth your feminine touch with current trends such as delicate off the shoulder sleeves and asymmetrical peplum hemlines as seen in our Elliatt Harlow Dress. To add to your womanly charm, pair it back with a gorgeous crown and golden pearl clutch and feel yourself floating through the crowd like a princess.
- Colour Blocking
- Playful Patterns
- Image Source: TheRaces
- If you can’t choose what colour to stick to, why not choose both! When it comes to colour-blocking, there are many playful patterns to be explored. Classic polka dots, ruffles and sheer embroidery are a beautiful statement as seen in our Alice McCall Senorita Dress. Keep your millinery playful with floral bejeweled headbands and a simple clutch or mix it up by colour blocking your accessories.
- Amazingly Abstract
- Image Source: Chronicles of Nadia
- This is the most daring and abstract outfit of all. This is for who isn’t afraid to unleash their wildest dreams into an outfit. It is the perfect recipe of fabrics, patterns, structure and millinery mixed together to create a masterpiece that will stop every single attendee (and horse) in their tracks. Explore beyond the boundaries with cut-out details like our Moonlight Mini Dress. Match it with an eccentric two-toned fascinator and patterned clutch and you will be a monochrome master in no time!
- SHOP OUR DERBY DAY COLLECTION